By Andrea Ellsworth Natural Beauty Consultant
Most of us would love to treat ourselves to a weekly day at the spa, but what if you lack the time or the money to indulge on a regular basis?
A bit of pampering every once in a while will help you feel more balanced in your life and allows you to better nurture those around you. Creating your own mini home spa is simple and affordable. Once you set it up, it will be a cinch to recreate as often as you like.
The first thing you will need to do to create your at home oasis is to de-clutter your surroundings. Take the time to remove excess items lying around and clean up any distracting messes. (Trust me taking this time to do this will be much appreciated when you can relax in peace without looking at all the chores you have to do.)
After tidying up any distractions you will now need to turn off any distractions including all electronics (yes even the cell phone, laptop and tv).
Whether it is a daily, weekly, or monthly indulgence, here are six steps to creating your own luxurious at home spa:
1. Decide on a theme. It can be relaxing to induce a restful night’s sleep or rejuvenating to re-gain some much depleted energy either way you will de-stress and feel more balanced.
2. Incorporate aromatherapy and herbs. For a relaxing experience you will want to incorporate mid to base note oils such as sandalwood and Rose Otto into your bath oil, and choose tea blends containing lavender or chamomile. If you want an uplifting experience I would recommend bergamot, lemon or other citruses into your bath oils. As for an uplifting tea blend try lemon balm or a ginger tea or even a tea containing ginseng as it works as a general tonic to increase energy and resistance to stress.
3. Set the mood. Depending on the mood you want to create, choose between tranquil slow tempo music or nature sounds for relaxing or a more stimulating instrumental for energizing as your auditory background. For both relaxing and energizing themes you will still want to light several candles around your treatment area and make the room temperature suited to your comfort level- think about what makes you feel the most relaxed or uplifted, if you have the advantage of a fireplace (electric or real)- this is always a nice touch.
4. Get Comfy. Set yourself up with a pile of big, fluffy towels, bathrobe and comfy slippers. You’ll want at least one extra large towel for your body and another towel for your hair. There is nothing better than a plush, luxurious towel for your home spa experience. If you don’t already have; invest in this is a one-time expense that will make you feel pampered each time you get out of the bath.
5. Prepare your facial treatment. Try creating handmade natural face mask from kitchen ingredients such as avocado and honey for rich moisturizing mask. Avocado is extremely rich in EFA’s and will nourish the skin, while honey acts as a humectant drawing the moisture into the skin. For a more oily or blemished skin try mixing a natural face lotion with some green clay creating a paste to draw out impurities.
6. Prepare your body treatment. If you don’t already own a sisal body brush, this is an inexpensive investment that will literally last forever and treat your body like a million bucks each and every time. For skin in need of nourishment you will want to use rich oils such as an Almond or Sesame mixed with Avocado for easier absorption. If cellulite is a concern you will want to incorporate specialty oils such as Sea Buckthorn.
Light the candles and turn on the music and begin to draw your bath at body temperature (too hot is unnecessary and causes dehydration). Start with dry brushing your body – working in long light strokes towards the heart. Once you have completed dry brushing, wash your face with warm water and a natural cleanser following with an application of your facial mask. Next, sink into your aroma therapeutic bath and appreciate the sensory journey and quiet time to yourself for at least 20-30 minutes. Once the time for your home spa has come to an end, dry off with your luxurious towels and rinse off the facial mask. Then take time to give yourself a massage, kneading and working your fingertips in circular motions as you apply your body oil from head to toe.
Conclude your experience by wrapping yourself in your soft robe and enjoying a cup of herbal tea and spend the remainder of your time relaxing in a comfy candle lit area to complete your homemade spa experience.
**Please remember to discuss the use of your herbs and essential oils with your natural health care practitioner prior to creating your at home spa to ensure the appropriate dilution of essential oils as well as to ensure that the herbs you intend to use will not have contra indications to your current health care. **
Fit Rich Wise sends a big thank to : Andrea Ellsworth, Owner of
YOUR URBAN YOGI- YOGA + SPA + EVENTS for this wonderful article